(Be sure to enter the giveaway at the end of this post!)
I still remember my daughter lying on the couch on Christmas day listening to the rest of the family enjoy the festivities in the other room. A very not-so-merry virus had hit her and she couldn’t enjoy that holiday much at all. And I was right by her side sharing in her misery, because that’s what moms do.
Things could have been worse and I’m a firm believer that we can find something to be thankful for in every situation, BUT I like my children to be well as much as possible, and especially when they are looking forward to an event, such as a holiday!
My children do take vitamins, homemade probiotics, immune herbs, and eat healthy foods to support their system, but I also like to incorporate essential oils!
I’m going to share a simple DIY essential oil rub that you can use especially this holiday time of year when candy and baking are plentiful and your kids need that extra immune boost!
DIY Essential Oil Rub For the Holiday Sniffles
Let’s first talk about the power of these oils!
Clove Essential Oil
Use to relieve nausea, fight germs and bacteria.
Do not use this oil under age 2.
Lemon Essential Oil
When I think of lemon oil, my first thoughts go to its awesome smell and how great it works in homemade cleaners and room sprays, but this oil is also a good choice for illness! It’s a disinfectant, and it promotes lymphatic drainage, which helps you get over colds faster;
Cinnamon Essential Oil
Besides smelling like Christmas, cinnamon essential oil is also cleansing, relaxing, and helps support the respiratory system.
Do not use on children under age 10.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus is a great disinfectant, and also relieves colds and stuffy noses.
Do not use under age 10.
Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary relieves congestion and coughs, as well as having antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties. It is said that judges in the middle ages burned rosemary to ward off any illnesses that people may bring to the place of judging. Using the essential oil has the same benefits!
Do not use on children under 10.
Tea Tree Essential Oil
This oil contains terpinen, the active ingredient responsible for the antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. Tea tree oil is probably the first essential oil I was introduced to years ago. We still use it to protect ourselves from viruses, bacteria, and mold by inhaling it!
Immune Essential Oil Blend
20 drops clove essential oil
15 drops lemon essential oil
10 drops cinnamon essential oil
8 drops eucalyptus essential oil
5 drops rosemary essential oil
5 drops tea tree essential oil
6 oz. carrier oil (such as coconut, olive, jojoba, sweet almond, etc.)
- Blend ingredients in a dark glass container.
- Rub on soles of feet to prevent and help heal illnesses.
- 20 drops clove essential oil
- 15 drops lemon essential oil
- 10 drops cinnamon essential oil
- 8 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 5 drops rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops tea tree essential oil
- 6 oz. carrier oil (such as coconut, olive, jojoba, sweet almond, etc.)
- Blend ingredients in a dark glass container. Rub on soles of feet to prevent and help heal illnesses.
- If using on children under the age of 10, omit the essential oils that are not safe on those ages and adjust the carrier oil amount.
- To diffuse, omit the carrier oil and add essential oils to diffuser.
- For a room spray, add the essential oils to 6 oz. of water.